Thursday, September 18, 2008

UGH - Teaching Agility is Exhausting!

Don't get me wrong, I really like the people that I teach but trying to take the information that is part of a natural thing for me and translate it into understandable chunks of information for my students is ever so EXHAUSTING. I've been doing agility long enough now that certain parts are just natural for me. Having to explain the reasons behind doing certain handling maneuvers is really really draining.

Not saying that I am some wonder whiz agility kid (hey now - no comments about age), but because using my body to do athletic things is almost too easy for me I find it difficult to communicate all the little subtle things needed to understand agility. Someday, I hope to be a wonder whiz agility kid but right now I am just trying to survive the energy requirements to teach it.

Truth be told, I'd rather not teach but Greg thinks it is good for me. Not for the money since I barely make enough to cover a hotel bill for the weekend but he thinks it makes me a better trainer and handler for my own dogs. OR he just wants to get me out of the house every now and then :)

2 comments:

Rosanne said...

Teaching forces you to organize and verbalize your thoughts and actually break down into increments and how's/why's of why you are doing things. So yes, it is good for you mentally.

But if I were Greg I'd want you out of the house now and then too
:-)

Sharon Gilligan said...

well at least you didn't comment on my age - good girl!