Monday, September 1, 2008

The Girls Pedigree and Such

I did not have their pedigree for the longest time. I still don't have one whole side - their Sire's side (I do know he was a NASD registered BC named Roy out of Jim Shearer's working lines). I did some research and with Rosanne's help we pieced together their Mother's side. I then ordered a pedigree for their Mother who is registered with the AKC. She was born and bred in the UK out of conformation lines and the pedigree confirmed our research.

Here is a link to some relatives to Abbey and Ivy on their mother's side:

http://www.foxbarton.com/bee.htm

The top half of her pedigree is identical to Abbey and Ivy. And Bee looks a lot like a black and white Abbey.

I also found a dog in Finland that went deaf at age 4 - she is similarly bred as the girls. Must be a genetic connection, don't ya think? I sent cheek swabs to UC Davis for both of my girls....they are researching Early Onset Deafness in border collies.

In doing research, I found quite a lot of agility dogs that share common ancestry to the girls. Since their Mother was born in the UK, I was shocked at the number of dogs that are distantly related - 3 generations, not 8. Clan Abby Blue Aberdoone was a top winning conformation dog in the UK and was used a lot for breeding - this is the primary connection to the other dogs.

Here is a link to Clan Abby - this picture is the one that reminds me the most of Ivy:

http://www.clan-abby.com/nz_ch_clanabby_lorna_doone_i01712.aspx

It truly is a small world in Border Collies. Why do I say this? I used to take classes at Y2K9s near Philadelphia. The owner, Deb Norman, has a BC named Shiner. This dog is a blue merle with tan markings....her face and mannerisms reminded me of Ivy. Years later, in doing my research, I discovered that Shiner's Sire is Bessamour D'ltan Azure - Grandfather is also Clan Abby Blue Aberdoone. There are multiple other ancestors on his pedigree in common with Abbey and Ivy.

No comments: