Thursday, September 11, 2008

Seriously Talented on Stock!

I took Robbie and Gusto to their herding lesson today. We started out in the round pen with Robbie, he remembered his earlier sessions from 2 weeks ago. We did a reminder on lie down and on sending out both directions. Then we worked Gusto - what a train wreck. He does not have any natural talent, he is afraid of the sheep to a certain degree and is generally confused. Poor boy, he tried really hard to figure it out. He worked better for Sharon, my instructor, then he worked for me. He was being silly for me, biting the rattle paddle, the noodle, screamed at me but worked a bit more calmly for her. Until she shook the rattle bottle. Then he refused to work for her - he is such a weenie.

Second time out for Robbie, we moved him to a larger field. He was truly brilliant! It was a thing of beauty to watch. It barely looked like Sharon had to do anything, she would send him out on a come bye - he did a natural, wide outrun and then turned at the right point without Sharon saying a word. Then she would lie him down, send him the other direction - again, just as nice as the other one. I just kept saying, "oh my, that is beautiful to watch" and Sharon had a "blank-eating" grin on her face.

I can't wait to take him for his next lesson. He really needs a solid foundation if I ever hope to trial him so I am having Sharon work him as much as she is willing. I'll mess him up although he is much easier to work on stock than Gusto. UGH! Poor G, at least he has fun in agility. Sadly, herding trials do not look like they are in Gusto's future.

No comments: