Friday, February 27, 2009

I Love Surprises

My doorbell ran yesterday - scared the beegesus out of me because it usually only rings when the neighbor kids are home or something bad has happened - like State Troopers stopping by to see if we have noticed anyone lurking around.

I keep my front door double locked so the local children cannot open the door and let all of my dogs out to get killed on the nasty posted 40 mph road that nobody drives 40 on. I go out through my garage which is a buffer and my dogs know not to bolt through that door.

Sorry, I digress. Anyway, I go to see who it is. There is no car in my driveway so I assume it is a neighbor. It wasn't, it was a good friend of mine that I used to do club rides with. We used to have so much fun on our rides - we'd push each other to go faster, to climb better, to ride farther. She was in awe of my speed, I was in awe of her climbing skills. We would go to the breakfast rides too and talk it up. She road over from her house which is not an easy ride and she even did the nasty hill up from the lake - nasty! It's not long but steady and steep. It was cold, windy and a bit wet yesterday - not the type of day I would go for a ride to visit a friend but she needs to put some miles in for an upcoming fundraiser ride.

She probably wonders why I haven't stayed in touch. It's not that I don't like her any more, it's just so hard to hear and see somebody doing the sport that I loved so much and can no longer do. It is a reminder of my loss. I have to remind myself that I can still do agility with my dogs and I can sort of kind of run. That's something, right? I really miss pushing myself physically on the bike though - it was a drug.

No comments: