Monday, February 23, 2009

Erie Weather Sucks

I drove out to Erie with my Junior Handler friend, Katie, who is running my deaf dog. We had a great first 3 hours and then hit the lake affect snow squalls. My wiper fluid froze in the reservoir but I didn't figure that out until I reached the hotel. I also went out a day early because I never took notice that start time on Friday was in the evening. That was fine though because it gave us down time and time to take my truck to a mechanic to pull the wiper fluid tank and dispose of the blue frozen slush and replace with fluid rated for -20 degrees. The temps in Erie were around 18 - 20 all weekend long. EEK!

Katie and I had an interesting experience finding a mechanic who would replace the washer fluid quickly. We found one - a little at home place that would have scared me had I not been traveling with Katie. The guy was nice though but the atmosphere was - well - scary. It only cost me $30 to get this taken care of and off we went. No longer stressed about whether I would be able to clean my window so that I could see through all the road salt and slush.

We then took a drive up along the frozen lake. What a strange experience - you expect to see this vast amount of water like the ocean but it looks frozen solid. Very moon like - not that I have been on the moon lately. We drove past quaint vineyards and little restaurants. The area that we drove along was basically undeveloped which surprised me since Lake Erie is a vacation destination for the people out in that area.

I didn't have an ice scraper either - I guess I took it out to clean my car and vacuum and it never got returned. I had to go buy one. What a trip and only a Gamble Q to show for it.

The building we were in was very nice, footing was great but it had 6 poles in the ring that we had to handle around and Gusto dropped bars whenever I had to pull off while he went out around the pole to take a jump - he dropped 3. Not bad all things considered except did he have to do it in Grand Prix. I went into training mode then and he lost his mind so I carried him out for being moronic. Oh well. Katie had a great weekend running Ivy - 2 Qs to show for it too. She was quite happy with herself and little La La.

I got a stomach/intestine virus while I was out there and am still not well enough to leave the house so no exercising or teaching tonight. We'll see how I feel in a day or so.

No comments: