Wednesday, March 18, 2009

First Outdoor Practice

We did our first scrimmage with the boys at LAX practice last night. The sport of LAX is extremely fast and fun. I am surprised at how quickly the boys are learning how to throw, catch, craddle and scoop. I know it would take me MUCH longer to learn - I'm sure their youthful brains help them.

I am not able to really help; I'm observing and learning. If I see anything, I will talk to the Head Coach and ask questions. So maybe in that way, I can help. If he gives the kids instructions that I don't understand or they seem confused, I will ask a clarifying question so the boys know what to do. I did that last night for one of the drills.

Devin did extremely well in the scrimmage last night - he played a Defense position and was able to steal the ball several times and run down the field. The scrimmages will get Devin excited for the sport, he absolutely hates skill drills.

During one of the lectures (short but necessary), Devin got all fidgety - he learns by doing so listening to verbal instructions causes him to tune out. I was secretly laughing in my head because he reminds me of me. At the end of practice, I was talking to the other coaches and Devin came up and got my car keys and got in the car. Thankfully, he doesn't know how to drive yet, he probably would have driven off and left me there. He does watch me shift the Stang's manual transmission so I have a feeling it wouldn't take him long to learn. I better start hiding the keys, he loves the Mustang.

1 comment:

Marcy said...

LOL ohh lordy I hear you. I'd probably die trying out lacrosse.