Thursday, May 21, 2009

I'm So Relieved

Life has been a bit crazy lately. I've been trying to locate an alternative place to teach agility. This search is not going very well. It cost A LOT of money to rent space large enough to do agility and the start up cost is quite expensive. If you take on this endeavor by yourself, you better be willing to work many hours and maybe even put on run thrus and trials to help cover your rental fee.

I prefer teaching part-time so that I can be home with Devin while he is still young and wants to be with his Mom. My current agility location is really bugging me. She is increasing my rental fee but the extra income she is going to get will not be used to help me replace gear as it breaks or ages. So when the gear breaks or needs to be replaced, it is coming out of my pocket. If I was the only person using this gear, I would have NO problem replacing it. However, the building is rented by other folks, I do not get a cut from this rental income. Also, she is putting in doggie daycare this Summer. I can guarantee they will use my gear to exercise the dogs. Do I get any compensation for this if they break the gear? NO I do not.

I am searching for alternatives. This is all trivial in the large scheme of life though. It's bugging me to not have an answer but it is still a minor problem.

There are bigger problems in this world. Like the neighbor's boy that has been fighting cancer. He is in remission but gets scan every 3 months to make sure he is still clear. He went for his scan yesterday and we usually get the word rather quickly. Yesterday, the news was late coming and we all feared the worst because he had been quite sick lately. He was not fighting off strep. But the news was GOOD when we finally got it. They discovered that he actually had pneumonia which was why the antibiotics wasn't helping initially. The poor family, as if they haven't suffered enough. Tonight, I want to take a bottle of wine down to the Mother so we can drink and celebrate life. It is so precious.

2 comments:

Kathleen Stoltzfus said...

Well, it sounds like she doesn't much care whether or not agility goes on in that facility. And you and I both know that when daycare goes in, all bets are off! Those dogs will be playing on the equipment and very likely will still be there when you want to teach. Also, things won't be set up the way you want them to be.
Also, you do NOT want to buy equipment and leave it there for all and sundry to use. If some person or some dog gets hurt and they decide it is the fault of bad equipment, they could well decide to sue YOU.

Sharon Gilligan said...

She basically told me today that when they redo the building for daycare, she doesn't want us in there any more. So I am out of a job sometime this Summer. If I can't find a new source of income, my agility days will end after Nationals. It will be my last trip out. I am hoping Robbie can work sheep when he recovers. I can work out a barter system with my instructor, she is in love with Robbie. I did go and visit two places today to talk to them about offering agility. We'll see.